Summer weather is fun for outside activities but to stay looking fabulous and neat in the heat becomes a bit challenging.
Hot, humid weather affects the skin and hair in many ways. The skin gets dehydrated and dull due to excessive sun exposure and sweating, high temperature activates the sebaceous glands to produce excessive sebum (oil), something actually good for dry skin but not so great for acne prone skin, since it triggers breakouts; the hair gets frizzy no matter what tool you use, and the makeup seems to melt right after you apply it.
In case you are facing one of those scenarios, here are some handy tips to put a happy face to your Summer all around, having fun and looking beautiful too:
- To make your makeup stay put, use lighter texture moisturizers during the day. Serums and lotions make a great choice. Avoid using too many layering products like primers. They contain high amounts of silicones and can make the skin feel heavy and greasy after a while and contribute to make the skin look cakey.
BB creams and tinted moisturizers with SPF are a fantastic option because they offer you: sun protection, hydration and light coverage to even out the skin tone, all in one. So right there you are avoiding the use of two extra products.
If you need more coverage in some areas, just touch them up with concealer, blend it well and then seal the makeup with a light powder to make it last longer and stand humidity. Save the full coverage foundation and more elaborated makeup for the evening when the humidity is lower.
- Switch to waterproof mascara, eyebrow pencil and eyeliner, they are made to stand water, so they will stand sweat and avoid the makeup from bleeding.
- Healthy skin comes from within and you can add extra protection from UV rays consuming foods rich in antioxidants, beta carotene, minerals and bioflavonoids to boost the natural defenses and repairing mechanisms of the body. Here are some fabulous ones to add to your diet:
Carrots, tomatoes, dark Chocolate, Leafy Greens, Kiwi, Oranges, Green tea, Watermelon, Berries.
- After spending time in the sun, chlorine and salt water; your hair may be frizzy and brittle. Use a hydrating mask once a week to restore dryness and repair the hair cuticle. Good oils like jojoba, argan and coconut make great hair masks. Spray the hair with water first to make it damp and then apply the oil. This will increase absorption. Leave it on for 20 to 30 min and then wash the hair as usual.
- Choose hair care products with UV and color protection to prevent discoloration.
- To fight frizz, look for products designed to straighten the hair they fill in the spaces in the hair cuticle making it smoother and shiny.
- Give your skin some love and nourishment. Include in your skincare routine ingredients that support what the skin needs during these hot and humid days. Vitamin C and hyaluronic acid are two crucial ingredients that help re-energize the skin, giving the skin beautiful radiance and restoring hydration.
Vitamin C is essential in the production of collagen contributing to improve the skin’s elasticity and firmness. It also works as skin brightener, making the skin look more even and giving it a healthy glow.
Hyaluronic acid holds 1,000 times its weight in water. It bursts the skin with hydration and gives the skin a smooth and fresh appearance. Our Zkin Fix serum contains these two key ingredients among many others to help your skin keep up with the challenging demands of Summer weather.
- Keep a soothing toner in your handbag, rose water for example, and spray the mist throughout the day, it helps maintain the skin refreshed and hydrated and it can be sprayed even over makeup.
- Exfoliate at least once a week with a good scrub to eliminate dead skin cells and residual product left on the skin. It is also a fundamental step if you use self-tanning products helping the tan last longer.
A simple one for the body; easy to make at home, is a mix of brown sugar, olive oil, honey and a few drops of lemon. Rub it gently and then remove with warm water and proceed to shower as usual. Apply a body cream right after showering for silky smooth skin.
- Use sunscreen daily. Dermatologists recommend using an SPF of 30 or higher. Prolonged sun exposure can lead to irreversible damage, photo-aging (wrinkles, sun spots, etc), and increases the risk of getting skin cancer even without a sunburn.
For regular use, select a lighter texture sunscreen; especially, if makeup is going to be worn over it.For longer hours of sun expose choose a higher SPF such a 50 or 50+ , a water-resistant is a smart pick for sports and outdoor activities and always remember to reapply the product every 2 hours.
Have a Fun and Safe Summer!
Until next time,
Founder of Zkin Fix Skincare
Product Reference Information